Saturday, August 7, 2010

El Ultimo

Welp, this is it. The bags are packed, closet empty, bed made, bathroom clear. Now all thats left to do is wait. Wait on the shuttle thats coming to take me to the airport. such a surreal feeling. Cant believe its all over. Yesterday was a great day because I got to spend a lot of time with my tica family. Some of my friends wanted to go out for our last night but I am really happy with the decision I made to stay home and just spend time with my tica family. I had one of the best meals yet. chicken with mashed potatoes, rice, veggies, and this homeade gravy that was off the chain. After dinner, they gave me a gift. They gave ME a gift, after everything they have done for me, they still got me a gift. They gave me a tshirt which I was very excited about, some homeade earrings that my mama tica's sister had made and a keychain. Also included was a homeade card. I couldnt even read it because I knew I would bust out in tears. I read the card later in my room. I was just so overwhelmed by their kindness. I never once felt uncomfortable from the moment I entered their home or like they didnt want me there. I bought some flowers and chocolate and a card, where I tried to write in words what they meant to me, but really there arent any. So I did the best I could to express my gratitude for all they had done for me. I cant believe how fortunate I was to be placed with Ligia, Pame, y Nicol. I will never forget them and they have such a special place in my heart, and I know that without doubt if I ever came back, they would open their home to me again. After dinner, Nicol and I watched some FRIENDS and then Pame joined us to watch my sister's keeper, which is not what I needed to help me NOT bust out in tears. It was great to spend time with them. I wanted to share a few things I learned here to sum up my experience in this last blog:
1. PURA VIDA: it means living day to day, enjoying life and taking advantage of every opportunity, not worrying about things that dont matter or that you cant control. To not rush through life or always be in a hurry, but embracing and enjoying every moment
2. Take the time to sit down and talk with people. Getting to actually know someone is such a wonderful pasttime.
3. You dont need that many things to be happy. There are very few things that you actually need. Simplify your life. Not having a cell phone was actually kind of nice.
4. Appreciate the things in your life. Going to church every sunday is such a privilege. You are blessed not entitled to having a car to drive around.
5. Complaining is an American Habit. As is slamming car doors-FYI. and what you considered closing a car door is considered slamming here.
6. San Jose is not as dangerous as everyone makes it out to be-in my opinion.
7. Eating healthier makes life better and can be as tasty
8. People everywhere are essentially the same. I became part of a family from a completely different culture although I was from a different country and do not speak the same language fluently.
9. Smiling means the same thing in every language.
10. Even if you dont believe, agree, or understand something, you should still respect it.
11. Put yourself out there. Embarrasing and awkward situations make for GREAT stories. never let fear or pride make your decisions for you.
Well those are just a few things. I have changed a lot this summer. Ive grown up. I detatched myself from everything I had ever known and learned to live without them. It was not always easy. Change never is. But it makes you into the person you always imagined yourself being. And that is an amazing feeling. I have no idea what the next step for me is, but I'm excited about it. I'm optimistic about the future. and as much as I love and will miss Costa Rica Im looking forward to starting my life. Because I feel that the end of this summer is the beginning of something new. This summer, as much as I dreaded it, was completely necessary. I needed it. So for that I thank you Costa Rica. and thank you Lord for bringing me here. You always know what you are doing. Well I guess that is all from San Jose, Costa Rica. A great quote that my roommate merri told me is the attitude I am going to have as I head home, although it still might be difficult not to cry. But it is a good cry. The best kind of crying you can have, the one that makes you realize how great of an experience you had. Dr. Seuss always had the best quotes, He said, "Dont cry because its over. Smile because it happened" And that is what I plan on doing. Adios. Costa Rica. Te amo. PURA VIDA

No comments:

Post a Comment