Monday, June 14, 2010

oh monday

Today, I did house calls again con David. This morning at breakfast I just had coffee (which Ticos drink like water by the way) I dont think the coffee here has quite as much caffeine as in America because normally when I drink coffee Im like a coke addict going through withdrawals. I get all jittery and I feel really weird. I drank it today because I knew I would fall asleep if I didnt. At one of the first houses we went to, I promise you there was one of the CUTEST little girls I have ever seen. I couldnt stop staring and smiling at her the entire time. I know that I was a class five creeper but I didnt care. She was so gosh darn cute. She was really fair skinned with light brown curly hair and had the cutest little lopsided pigtails in the back. She also had an additional pigtail jutting out from her forehead (I'm guessing she may have done that one by herself haha) she had the biggest brown eyes and she seriously looked like a tiny angel. Even David noticed. He was like "she looks like a gringa huh?" I'm not sure if looking like a gringa is a good thing but this child was beatiful. I'm a little worried for her though because at the grand ol age of one and a half she had a shirt that said I love sexy [something]-I cant remember). I always feel a tiny bit concerned for the future of a small child with the word sexy on their shirt. Also, she got a mug of coffee [like I said they drink it like water here], given to her by her grandmother, and straight CHUGGED the entire thing in about 5 seconds. She was literally out of breath from drinking it so fast. I'm not sure if downing a mug of coffee or wearing a shirt that says sexy on it is entirely beneficial for a child of one and a half but I guess she gets the award for the "most mature person who still wears diapers" With the rate shes going and the looks shes got, she's gonna be a heartbreaker by the time shes three. Anyway, at the next house we walked in and on the tv I thought there was a game of beach volleyball going on so I was really excited to get to watch it cuz I love some shirtless men playing beach volleyball. However, I was shocked to find out that what I was watching was NOT volleyball. It was this sport called "footvolley" I kid you not. It looked just like beach volleball (sand court, 2 dudes, and a net in the center) but in footvolley, you CANT use your hands. Its like soccer and volleyball put together on CRACK. They served with their feet, bumped and set with their chests, and spiked with their HEADS. It was unbelievably amazing. I was in awe just staring at the TV screen (once again, super professional). It was one of the most amazing sports I have ever beheld. One dude spiked the ball with his foot over the net. FREAKIN INSANE! After a musing round of footvolley, we made our way from house to house asking insanely personal questions. I think its interesting to note that we ask the people what religion they are in their demographic information. I'm not sure what this has to do with your health status but I guess it doesnt matter. And its like people here dont get embarrased or uncomfortable when you ask them personal questions ( like what kind of birthcontrol you are using and how many pregnancies you've had-as in if you have had any abortions) People are just much more open here about things and in a way, I think its a good thing. Its like they arent pretentious here and they arent trying to hide things. They just tell you like it is. It poured down rain as usual. We watched part of the italy/paraguay game at one person's house. I also love the hospitality of Costa Rica. They love SMALL talk and getting to know one another. At the houses, oftentimes they will offer us a drink or something to eat and actually its not even rude at all to ask for a drink or something else. They are very hospitable people and enjoy spending time with others (even strange gringas who enter their house to take their blood pressure). I think I'm starting to like my job :) it just took some getting used to, thats all. David tried to explain to me the school system here. Its very confusing. I'm not sure if I understood everything correctly but from what I can tell, the students can kind of just leave school whenever they want to. Like I see students walking the streets at all times of the day. If a kid is bored or doesnt wanna be there anymore, then they can just get up and leave. Thats costa Rica for you, pura vida. And its not required that people go to school here. if they dont want to go then they dont have to. Many of the people that we talk to in the house visits normally dont have more than a sixth grade education. Its definitely interesting.
I took my time coming home today because Price left early, so I just kind of wandered around downtown ( I love it there) I ate an empanada and ice cream for lunch (breakfast of champions right there let me tell you) and made my way through the pouring rain. When I got on the bus, the backs of the seats were so tall that I couldnt see out the front window. i was like "why the heck are these seats so tall?" luckily the bus dropped me right by my house so I didnt have to walk much in the rain. Now I'm home and just blabbing to you guys about my day! Love you all!!!! PURA VIDA

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That amazes me about the small baby drinking coffee with the t-shirt....

    ReplyDelete